Top 5 Back to School Safety Tips
The beginning of school is quickly approaching, and my boys are getting excited about the first day of school. But how can we make going back to school safer and easier for kids these days? Here are my top 5 tips on making the kids feel safe and secure for the new school year:
- Make sure that the kids know their phone numbers and address. It takes time for the office staff to get student records in order, and you’ll want the kids to be able to contact you whether it be for a stomach ache or an assignment forgotten at home.
- Start gathering locker equipment like shelves and locks early. These items go quickly and you’ll want to go early to have the best selection.
- Check to make sure that you buy the right lock for the situation, and ask the school if there are any requirements. My son’s locker requires a medium length but fat shackle. Otherwise, the locker can be opened even with the lock on it.
- Put nametags or write your child’s name on expensive equipment and supplies like USB flash drives.
- Tell your kids to NOT give out their locker combination to anyone, even their best friend. This is a common mistake made by kids. They don’t understand that they can’t control who their friends tell their combination to. This is one of the biggest reasons for locker theft these days.
And the best piece of advice I can give, check out Master Lock’s video featuring a new specialist on student life to help students safely and securely navigate this school year in style. The Master Mind, a suave and funny college grad, is starring in a humorous online video series on in which he, along with his clever Little Sister, are setting out to answer students’ most frequent, awkward and perplexing questions on www.facebook.com/masterlock. Here’s a link to the first video, Friending Too Fast.
Parents and students are invited to submit their own questions for the Master Mind and participate in daily sweepstakes for a chance to win back-to-school must-haves, including popular Master Lock school and campus security products. More information about the back-to-school video series and sweepstakes, as well as the newest and coolest Master Lock back-to-school accessories, can be found at http://mwne.ws/pELmnK.
Disclosure: This post is part of a contest for a Master Lock back-to-school prize pack as a member of the Mom Bloggers Club. But as you all know by now from reading my other posts, I give honest reviews for products that I’ve tried. If I don’t like it, you bet your life that I’ll say it.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!